Tuesday, October 23, 2007

primitive

I was planning to post a couple personal pictures to show my faithful readers this week. But I can't... because our computer is dead. This comes, of course, one month after the protection plan expired. And guess what else? It died right after we said, "hey, the Slaughterhouse computer is running slow and acting funny, we need to go get an external hard drive and back up all our precious pictures, music, and financial information lest our computer stops working," but before we actually did it. I know, silly us, there were probably other ways to back it up, but alas, it didn't happen. We're hopeful that we didn't lose any data, because the problem seems to be with the power supply (it started having trouble waking up from sleep, then just wouldn't turn on).

Where does this leave us? Well, after Leopard is released, we'll go shopping. First order of business: set up a regular backup schedule! And yes, we're getting another Mac. You should have seen Jed's face when I shyly admitted to him that I'm actually kind of liking my work PC. It was decided that I probably like it best because it's new and super-fast, instead of THREE WHOLE YEARS old.

Meanwhile, we'll hobble along in this primitive state of existence; a reversion to the time before we did everything on the Web. For me, this will only be necessary when I'm at home. But we'll continue having conversations like the one we had yesterday*:

"Honey, do you know what the weather is supposed to be like this week?"
"I don't know! I haven't been able to check the two weather websites I check every day! Oh nooooo, what are we going to do? How will we know how to dress?
... oh, I guess we can turn on the weather channel when we get home."

(Heart rate slowly returns to normal. We will survive.)

*Transcript of conversation may be slightly embellished. Slightly.

No comments: